Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
* New Welcome Screen with introduction to Audacity.
* Enhanced Windows Shell integration, so Audacity shows up in lots of Windows places such as “Open With”.
* New keyboard command: ‘Mix and Render to New Track’ (bound to Ctrl+Shift+M).
* New keyboard shortcut: “Shift-A” starts playback when stopped, or performs “Stop and Select” when playing.
* Added support for VAMP audio analysis plug-ins.
* Solo button solos only one track at a time, and a track cannot be both mute and solo.
* Keyboard shortcuts for making short/long jumps along the timeline.
* Added ‘Snap To’ in the Selection Bar.
* Made keyboard navigation easier when multiple menu items with the same first letter exist.
* Enhanced interface for label editing.
* Layout of OK/Cancel buttons consistency improved.
o “Select all audio in project, if none selected” (on by default).
o “Beep on completion of longer activities” (system bell, not main output).
o Other preferences cleaned up and explanations improved.
* Envelopes: Many fixes when copying / pasting / repeating.
* Many translation updates.
* Track height fixed in several cases.
* CleanSpeech mode switching without closing and re-opening fixed.
* Metadata editor added for OGG, FLAC and WAV/AIFF exports, and general improvements.
* Metadata import improved.
* Muted tracks are no longer audible in the exported mix.
* Truncate Silence: support for multiple and stereo tracks.
* Dtmf Generator:
o Added support for keypad letters.
o Added an amplitude control.
* Compressor: variable decay time added.
o Clicks at start / end prevented.
o Improvements to saved curves being found.
o Preview works correctly.
* ‘Merge’ command appears in Undo history.
* Clipping detected more reliably.
* Nyquist plug-ins reviewed and enhanced.
* Better (and more) progress bars.
* Cancelling effect always restores previous audio.
* Several improvement to effects in batch mode.
* Improvements to latency correction.
* Updated version of portaudio-v19 library.
Note that Help is no longer built in, but accessible on the Web via links in Audacity.