Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
* Posterize adjustment
* Intersect selection editing mode.
* When holding Ctrl or Alt for a selection tool, the cursor now has a plus or minus indicator.
* Dramatically improved selection editing performance for the Add and Subtract modes (and also for Intersect). The performance used to be dependent on image size, and thus was often unusable on images larger than 1024×768 pixels. It is now dependent only on selection complexity (number of polygon edges) — the improvement is generally between 3x and 1000x.
* The canvas background is now a solid color instead of a gradient. The gradient was causing certain tone misjudgments related to bright versus dark colors.
* Shortcut key for Sepia is now Ctrl+Shift+E. The shortcut for Posterize is now Ctrl+Shift+P.
* Hotkeys for selection modes are now Left click for Replace, Control+Left click for Add (union), Alt+Left click for Subtract (difference), Ctrl+Left click for Intersect, and Ctrl+Right click for Invert (xor).
* When using a selection mode other than “replace”, it will now draw the selection outline so that you can see both the original and resulting selection areas. Before, it would only draw the resulting selection area outline, which made modes such as Intersect hard to use.
* The Resize dialog had some rounding errors with the “Maintain aspect ratio” feature, which caused a few discrepancies and even a spurious “out of memory” error.
* Some quirks with the Color Wheel control for IndirectUI-based effect plugins.
* Several miscellaneous and rare crashes.
* The installer would display a bizarre error if a “blank” install folder was attempted.
* The installer now only accepts absolute path locations, instead of relative ones. This fixes an ambiguity between where Paint.NET believes it is installing itself to, and the directory that Windows Installer actually uses.
* Sometimes pasting would result in a crash when certain types of malfored data were on the clipboard.
* It was possible to get around some of the protections imposed by the IndirectUI system. This was causing instability with some effect plugins such as “Fern Fractal”.
* There were some issues with the implementation of “linked” sliders for effects based on IndirectUI.